International travel exposes you to changes in climate, temperature and diseases which can impact your health. You can minimise the health risks by taking a few precautions before you travel. Here we provide basic travel medical advice to assist with your journey planning.
For the latest travel advice specific to your destination please go to the Safe Travel and World Health Organisation websites.
Before travel, consult your health professional to discuss:
- Your itinerary
- The duration of your trip
- Your type of travel
- Your past medical history
- Any vaccination requirements
- If you are pregnant
- Any medications you may need to travel with
- Your pre-existing medical conditions
- Disease prevention
Tips for long distance travellers
- We highly recommend you do frequent leg exercises during your flight. Move around the cabin, stretch and take deep breaths regularly while seated.
- Drink plenty of non-alcoholic beverages to prevent dehydration.
- Eat lighter to avoid bloating.
- Set your watch for your destination time zone when you get on the plane and try and sleep to their schedule. This will help with beating jetlag.
The three R's of Travel Vaccination
Routine Vaccinations (childhood or adult vaccinations)
- Tuberculosis (TB)
When crossing international borders certain vaccinations are required. Check with the World Health Organisation for more information.
- Yellow Fever
There are some vaccinations recommended when travelling overseas specific to your destination. These may include:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Japanese Encephalitis
If you have a medical conditions, always carry a summary of your medical history and your family doctor's details with you. Please see your doctor to identify your specific needs.
We and Safe Travel highly recommend that you take out adequate travel insurance. The cost of medical treatment in foreign countries can be significant. For more information, please call us on 0800 553 550.
Worldcare travel insurance is issued and managed by AWP Services New Zealand Limited trading as Allianz Partners and underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 (Incorporated in Australia) trading as Allianz New Zealand. You should consider the Policy Wording before making any decisions about this travel insurance policy.
For further information on Allianz Australia Insurance Limited's financial strength rating, please refer to the following Financial Strength Rating and Overseas Policy Holder Preference Disclosure Notice found at https://www.worldcare.co.nz/.
Allianz Partners website |
Terms and Conditions